- Limestone is a soft and naturally porous material subsequently your new fireplace should be treated with the greatest of care as you would a valuable piece of furniture. Care should be take with candles, wine and fizzy drinks as all these can have a detrimental effect on your fireplace surround.
- Never use wax or spray polishes on a limestone fireplace, as these products can darken the surface of the limestone and can create patches. Never use kitchen or bathroom cleaners, as they could react with the limestone surface. Important to never allow cigarettes to be placed on the stone surface, the heat could cause a brown scar.
- During the months you use the fireplace, vacuum up soot, dirt and debris frequently to keep these materials from impregnating the limestone. Before you clean it with a mild alkaline or pH-neutral cleaner, vacuum to remove gritty dirt that can damage your fireplace and surround.
- All our fireplaces are pre-sealed before installation which gives you added protection and peace of mind.
- You CANNOT steam clean a limestone fireplace surround. Steam can penetrate the small cracks and fissures on the surface of the limestone.
- Can you use abrasive pads to clean limestone fireplaces? Dishwashing pads or anything abrasive should be avoided unless directed or supervised by an expert.
If in doubt give is a call at the showroom we are always happy to help